Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Boy Parts!

It’s a boy! Here’s one of the ultrasound images from my 20-week appointment, which was almost two weeks ago now. The technician hadn’t had the probe thingy on my stomach more than two seconds when he said, “Those are boy parts.” Agustín was still getting situated under the pile that was my winter outdoor wear and purse. “Did you hear what he said?” I asked him. “No. What?” he asked innocently. “He said our baby has boy parts!” That time he got it. It was pretty funny. And sure enough, the “boy parts” were pretty darn clear in the ultrasound. In an effort to not begin embarrassing our son before he is even born though, I won’t post the ultrasound that explicitly points out these “boy parts.”

Emilia understands that mommy has a “big baby boy” (a.k.a. “big baby boy brother”) in her stomach, and she no longer insists that she has a baby in her tummy too. (I hope she’s not demonstrating some type of psychic powers or sisterly intuition with the “big” part, especially since her dad was a ten-pound baby.) Oftentimes, when we ask Emilia “What’s your name?” or “How old are you?” she responds, “I’m a sister!” (her use of the present tense demonstrates she definitely doesn’t get the whole gestational period concept yet). She’s even pointed out that the baby is “Papa’s son,” which took me by total surprise when she said it because I’d only explained this to her once. She likes blowing on my stomach to give her baby brother “zerberts.”

If anyone has baby boy name ideas (only requirement is that they work well—preferably are pronounced very similarly—in English and Spanish), please post them in a comment or e-mail!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the boy parts! Very exciting. Loved the pictures from Spain! I'll let you know if I think of any god boy names.
-annmarie

Liz Jimenez said...

Congrats on a great ultrasound, and how fun to have a boy this time!

OK, I grabbed my favorite baby name book to look for names. :-) I decided to look at the Spanish names, and pick out a few that seemed particularly easy to an American ear. My two favorites are Andres and Mateo. I actually know a baby boy named Mateo, and I love that name!

Hope that helps. Obviously, feel free to ignore completely. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats! What an exciting moment! Alejandro is one suggestion & I'll think of others for ya.

Anonymous said...

Ya Ya votes for Mateo! Mateo Malet! That sounds awesome!