Thursday, May 6, 2010

Emilia's First Self-Portrait


This post is a bit belated, but I wanted to document Emilia's first self-portrait, which she did last month. She loves to color and had been improving by leaps and bounds. Several times she handed me pictures when I picked her up at the childcare center at the gym and I questioned whether they were really hers because it looked like someone had actually tried to color in the lines. I'm not quite sure why it didn't occur to me that she might just be improving. Heck, the girl knows how to write half the letters in the alphabet; why wouldn't her coloring skills be improving? Then one day I picked her up and she handed me a picture of Tinkerbell with her signature scribbling. "Nice picture," I said. "No Mommy! Look on the other side...it's me!" Sure enough, when I turned over the paper, there was a very distinguishable human figure. Not just a human figure, but a girl. Appendages, head, face, clothes, the whole deal. "It's me in my orange dress," she explained (although she does not own an orange dress). "I couldn't make the hair curly, so I just drawed it short," she said. Of course. And purple. This is definitely a keeper.

No comments: